Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A look at a 1938 Enots, Benton & Stone Ltd., motor fittings catalogue with fuel/petrol filler caps,"Best" oil pumps, chain oilers, crankcase relief valves, fuel/petrol taps....

Since my last post I've been in Europe and the UK visiting Velocette friends Carl Drees, Heinz Limbers, Gert Boll and of course including Ivan Rhodes and have much information to share with you, but not right now as I'm still collating it all.
I've had this catalogue I'm featuring in this post from the former W.F. Omodei's motorcycle accessory store in Sydney, since they closed in the early 1990's, details of which you may have read other posts of mine on Omodei's previously....
It is a 1938 Enots catalogue and this was the trade name of Benton & Stone Ltd, ironically in Bracebridge Street, Birmingham...name sound familiar?
It's the street Norton was in...how convenient as they used their products....
So did Velocette and other motorcycle manufacturers...
This could be a useful aid to those of you auto-jumblers looking for missing petrol taps, petrol caps etc etc...
Read on.....
I've two other pages from another Enots catalogue, but that's all...could be also prewar or immediately postwar....


I had an email today, 11th August 2016, from the UK......
so nice to hear from the family of a person involved with the company.....

Hi there.... 
 After reading your web page l felt that l would just inform you that my father  was the chief cashier at Benton and Stone in Aston he went to work there when he was 14 and left there when he was 68 this was the period from 1914- 1970 when he retired. During this time when l was aged between 6 and 14 l used to go with him to work and had many a happy time walking round the factory and sitting in my fathers big leather chair in his office these years were 1952 onward.l also have in my possession a beer stein which has Benton and Stone printed on it this was given to my father.
Please excuse me writing to you but l felt that just perhaps you might like to know a little bit of history

Yours
Margaret

No comments: