Sunday, July 1, 2012

The 1975 IOM TT races....I was there for the two weeks with my trusty Voiglander camera and embarrassingly have just rediscovered a negative store of mine from this time, all unseen before...Sidecars for a start....

When Judy and I rode overland to Europe in early 1974, the TT Races in the IOM were a beeline target...
We were still in the UK in 1975 and went again to the IOM for the two weeks of the practice and races...1974 was the same, vacation wise.
I had a Voigtlander camera, think I had the standard 50mm and a 135mm lens and as was my want, took mostly B&W photographs.
I had the films developed but it wasn't until sometime in 1977 or so that I got another enlarger and printed some photos from the many shots I took.
Most were never printed and have remained unseen since then.
I now use a high end A3 scanner with serious negative capability and so have spent some hours scanning a couple of rolls....
They are mostly during practice this time, some in the Ramsay area others I'm not sure where, I have no notes regrettably.
So I'm starting with some sidecars and a few of the ,then, IOM ferries that brought us from Liverpool to Douglas in the manner they had done for many years, craning the bikes on board...ships with names such as...
"Monas Queen", "Ben-My-Chree", "Manx Maid".....
The memories come flooding back....
Enjoy my stroll, photographically in time....
I did an earlier posting with some previous B&W and colour slides....
See...
http://velobanjogent.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/visit-to-iom-tt-races-through-eyes-of_19.html
 The link to the overland trip in a very early post...
http://velobanjogent.blogspot.com.au/2008/04/overland-to-europe-by-motorcycle-in.html
Ferries in Douglas harbour....
580cc Rennsport BMW, entered in the 1000cc Classic Sidecar TT, ridden by Helmut Schilling with passenger Gunther Maier.
498cc Rennsport BMW ridden by Otto Haller with passenger Eric Haselbeck.
Ralf Steinhausen's 497cc Busch Konig with passenger Josef Huber.


Ralf Steinhausen's 680cc Konig outfit
German sidecar ace Seigfried Schauzu with passenger Wolfgang Kalauch had this 490 ARO, entered by  ARO Teppichboden in Germany. I suspect it was a modified BMW Rennsport. But again kept no notes.
British pair Derek Plummer and Charles Birks 680cc Konig outfit.
700cc 4 cylinder Yamaha outfit of Alex Campbell and Jim Pearson.

Unsure whose BMW Rennsport outfit this is...the number is not visible and again no notes...
Had an email from Rupert Martin in Germany who feels this outfit is ridden by Richard Wegener...he also confirms that the ARO of Siegfried Shauzu is likely a Rennsport BMW engined machine, as the usual ARO constructed outfit had a Helmut Fath built 4 cylinder 2 stroke engine but was not considered suitable for the TT......thanks Martin.

A couple of spectators machines....
The Seaman's refuge in Douglas Harbour....

No comments: